Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tilt

Tilt

In the midst of a deep sleep, I am disturbed by a distant rumbling. I open my eyes. Am I caught up in a dream? The rumble amplifies into a murderous roar and I feel myself rolling toward the edge of the bed. A panic sets in as I claw at pillows and covers in an attempt keep myself from falling off the bed. But everything is tilting. Tilting. Tilting.

I hit the carpeted floor and roll until I am flush against one of the bedroom walls.. Instinct brings me into a fetal position as I hear the enormous bed creak and watch it begin to slide toward me. Even with the room slowly tilting, I am relieved when I realize that the bed’s weight is keeping all four of its legs on the ground. But as the room continues to tilt, the side of the bed furthest from me rises off the carpet. The mattress and pillows and covers tumble off and fly through the air toward me. Although there are no jagged or hard edges, when the mattress lands on top of me its tremendous weight knocks the air out of my lungs.

Protected by the mattress I can still hear the room’s furnishings flying and crashing into one another. What is happening? After a seemingly endless duration, the tilting finally stops. The crashing noises are replaced by grinding and groaning as items previously airborne settle into their new positions.

Smothered beneath the heavy mattress, I am blanketed by the opposing, complex feelings of fear and security, confusion and understanding. Should I creep out and embrace the changes that have just occurred? Or should I remain in the dark beneath the crushing weight of the mattress where for the moment I am safe?
***
I agree with Ian, it does have an allegorical feel, and the lack of explanation gives it strength. I was hooked very quickly.

A panic sets in as I claw at pillows and covers in an attempt keep myself from falling off the bed.

In the above I think you can drop 'A panic sets in' as the panic is obvious from the actions, with the clawing at pillows and covers. Maybe you can afford to drop 'off the bed' at the end of the sentence too, but it's trivial.

Instinct brings me into a fetal position as I hear the enormous bed creak and watch it begin to slide toward me.

To me, the fetal position has to come after the creak and the sliding bed as it's a reaction to it. I would also drop 'I hear' as it's obvious given the viewpoint that if there's a creak then he heard it, and the same can be said for watching the bed sliding. I might write this:

The enormous bed creaks and slides towards me. Instinct brings me into a fetal position.

Even with the room slowly tilting, I am relieved when I realize that the bed’s weight is keeping all four of its legs on the ground.

The opening phrase, 'Even with the room slowly tilting' is probably redundant here. I'm probably as picky about people realizing as I am about them hearing and watching, which may just be me, but here you could get away with:

To my relief the bed's weight is keeping all four of its legs on the ground.

But as the room continues to tilt, the side of the bed furthest from me rises off the carpet.

Here I think the continued tilting has value, in contrast to earlier.

The mattress and pillows and covers tumble off and fly through the air toward me. Although there are no jagged or hard edges, when the mattress lands on top of me its tremendous weight knocks the air out of my lungs.

I don't think you need to mention the lack of jagged or hard edges, and can let the weight of the mattress convey what you're after. For example:

The mattress and pillows and covers fly through the air toward me. The tremendous weight of the mattress knocks the air out of my lungs.

Another great and imaginative little flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment